Thursday, January 16, 2014

A Friday to Kill

December 27, 2013. Itaewon, South Korea.

It was two days after Christmas and I found myself inside Suji's brunch restaurant in Seoul with a cinnamon roll in one hand, people-watching out the window. Me and Kaley had about 10 hours before we had to be at the airport to pick her family up, but while Kaley had graduate school apps to knock out, this guy had nothing. Except his camera, of course. So I roamed out and about in Itaewon and beyond. 

Just a National Subway Graphic subway crab. Perfectly natural.
Every time I have come out of the subway heading for Suji's, I immediately notice Namsan Tower showing off in the distance. I hadn't actually explored much of Itaewon or the area around the tower, so while K was working, I adventured. I crossed the street and just started walking up. I was choosing random alleys and interesting little diversions on my way up, and the tower was everywhere.
I walked to the highest point I could get, which happened to be a road where a ton of embassy housing was. I found the Ethiopian, Argentinian, and Thai embassies all along one street, and quickly became jealous of what I was sure is their unimpeded, fantastic views of Namsan Tower and Seoul spread out below it. After the embassies and the coffee shops, the city finally tapered off a little and I ran into Namsan Park.


I hiked my way up to an overlook and found the tower waiting there, along with a very bright and hazy Seoul sprawled everywhere around it.

It was a long, productive photowalk, which I hadn't had in a while. Seoul can be really overwhelming and busy and crazy, but it is an amazing place to take your camera and get lost in.



No comments:

Post a Comment