Thursday, November 21, 2013

Seoul Extras

November 16 & 17, 2013. Seoul, South Korea.

As a follow-up to my previous post, here are some more photos from last weekend in Seoul.
This is the entrance to Gyeongbokgung Palace, which is where one of the major streets in Seoul ends. On that street are things like the American Embassy, Seoul's City Hall, and another palace. Fulbright's Thanksgiving Dinner was held at the National Folk Museum of Korea, which is just behind the palace complex, so after the dinner, I walked by the entrance with a group that was heading to the Lantern Festival (no pictures from there because I didn't get any I like). Speaking of the Folk Museum...
Buy a tripod, Neal.
This pagoda is on top of the Folk Museum and the entrance to the museum is just to the left of it. I had some time to kill before the dinner, so instead of roaming around the museum, I walked outside, put my camera on the ground, and used my wallet to tilt the lens up so I could get a few exposures at a lower ISO. So I was alone, in the dark, kneeling on the ground to frame up my camera, which happened to be partially supported by my wallet. I looked pretty silly, but that's what happens when you don't have a tripod at night.
There are buildings all over the place here, but luckily, this guy is big enough to hide them from my camera.
Earlier that day, I stopped by Namdaemun market to buy a new camera strap. Turns out that after a little over a year and a half, my old strap was wearing pretty thin where it supported the camera. Luckily, the camera shops in Namdaemun line the street where you can find the newly rebuilt/renovated Sungnyemun, so I strolled around a bit to grab some photos while I was there. Probably should have looked at tripods, as well.
Hongdae is a really interesting place (left) and Seoul is full of surprises if you decide to skip the subway and just walk a while (right, near Seoul Station).
The next day, I went to see the new Thor movie (meh) with my girlfriend and my friend Jason, and then met up with some of this year's Korea Fulbright Infusion staff, of which yours truly is one of the photo editors this year! We met up in Hongdae and went over all the juicy details for this years two-issue volume. After that, it was back to Cheonan.

To see all the cool stuff (including a bunch of my photos!) in Volume 6 of the The Korea Fulbright Infusion magazine, check this out: 
http://infusion.fulbright.or.kr/?cat=6

And check out the staff while you're at it: http://infusion.fulbright.or.kr/?page_id=19

No comments:

Post a Comment