Monday, November 18, 2013

A Bukchon Stroll

November 16, 2013. Bukchon, Seoul, Korea.
Dino says no parking.
This past Saturday was the annual Fulbright Thanksgiving get-together in Seoul, but before dinner, I decided to roam about. I found my way to Bukchon, an area known for its Hanok, or traditional Korean buildings.

Hanok tiles and doors...
It was cold and hazy, but I wound up spending a few hours exploring the alleys anyway. The homes are a pleasant surprise in the middle of the bustling giant that is Seoul, and there is graffiti and other art scattered throughout. There are also crowds, power lines, and those lovely big city smells, but nothing overwhelming. From a photography perspective, this place was a challenge, but that just means I get to go back!

I really liked the mailboxes!
After walking for a while, I came out on top of a hill on the eastern side of Bukchon, with a beautiful fall view of Bukaksan. I made my way down and worked through more alleys until I hit the subway.


They had blanks for Korean, Chinese, and English! Pretty cool.


This was between Bukchon and Gyeongbokgung (Gyeongbok Palace).



No comments:

Post a Comment