Thursday, November 14, 2013

Sudeoksa, Buddha's Birthday

Sudeoksa, Yesan, South Korea. April 30th and May 1st, 2013. 

It was midterm time at Buseok High School, so I decided to spend one of my off days roaming Sudeoksa, which turned into two days once I stood under these:
부처님 오신날 means "the day when Buddha came"
As I entered the temple complex, there was a single string of these lanterns on each side of the main path, but when I looked up the steps to the main temple, I realized what I was getting myself into.

I knew it was Buddha's birthday, but I had no idea that I was going to see all of this color. When people visit temples like this, they can write short prayers or wishes on tags, and these tags are then attached to the bottoms of lanterns, and the lanterns are hung around the temple. So I stood there, color above and shadow below, listened to the constant tapping, tapping, tapping of these tags when the wind blew, and it was awesome.
The lanterns hanging outside my favorite, smaller temple nearby.
Pagoda and lanterns (left). Jumping me and lanterns (right, photo courtesy of my girlfriend).
This is my last Sudeoksa post until I visit again, which will hopefully be soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment