Friday, November 8, 2013

Sudeoksa

Sudeoksa Temple, Yesan, South Korea.
Sudeoksa and its pagoda in early fall, 2012.
I went to the Sudeoksa temple complex several times throughout my 2012-2013 grant year. My first visit was on September 26, 2012, a date that sticks out in my Lightroom (photo organizing program) catalog as having the most photos from a single day, and this includes the days I spent in Vietnam over my winter break. I couldn't stop taking pictures of the gates, buildings, and statues, all painted in vibrant greens, blues, golds, and reds. I took my time passing through the main entrance, two smaller gateways (see photo below), and a large building that I at first thought was the main temple. Then I climbed up a set of stairs and was finally met with the pagoda and South Korea's National Treasure number 49, Sudeoksa.
Two of the Four Great Heavenly Kings housed in one of the smaller gates.
The main temple is famous for being South Korea's oldest wooden building, and is quite simple compared to the surrounding buildings. The only color on its sides is the orange-yellow paint between the wooden columns and crossbeams. I spent nearly three hours exploring the surrounding temple buildings, befriending dogs and speaking to a few friendly monks.

Detail of the paintings on the ceiling of the main entrance gate.
The following photo is from one month after my initial visit. It was a Friday evening and my girlfriend decided to come with me after she finished teaching for the day. After the sun set, a drum began to sound and bells rang. The drumming continued even after we left 20 minutes later. In the meantime, everything else was still and quiet...easily one of my favorite memories from my time in Korea.
Before the drumming began, these people gathered around. I think they were participants in the temple stay program.
I'll post later with more photos from here.




No comments:

Post a Comment