Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Exploring Seoul, take II

September 7, 2013. Seoul, South Korea.

This is a continuation of my previous post, where I discovered the industrial side of the Mullae neighborhood in Seoul. That adventure took up a few of my morning hours. These photos are from the places I visited before and after.


A bridge and underpass near Seoul Station (left). Art and artist, relaxing in Hongdae (right).
My day began with a train. Kaley and I arrived in Seoul Station around 7:30 a.m. and decided to walk around a bit before parting ways. My evening began after she finished her run. I met up with her and a few other Fulbrighters in Hongdae for some awesome mexican food.


Soju and beer. Yep.
In between Seoul Station and Hongdae, I hopped on the subway to Mullae, walked through some side streets and eventually stumbled onto a market. The stalls (mostly vegetables, fruit, and ajummas) stretched down several blocks on one side of a street.


The old Korean ladies use kittens to lure in...everyone.
Colors and Whatnot

After I walked along the market street, I wound my way through the streets and alleys where I took the photos in my previous post. Then I got back on the subway and headed towards Chungmuro Station and the Namsangol Hanok Village. It was your standard bright, sunny, warmish day in a huge park. There was some kind of festival or cheerleading competition going on, filling up the spaces between the traditional Korean homes. Heading towards the back of the park, Namsan Tower eventually found its way out behind the trees and I found the grave of the time capsule commemorating Seoul's 600th anniversary. The stone dais marking it's location (below) has messages from some of Seoul's sister cities - like San Francisco and Honolulu - engraved on it.

Namsangol Hanok Village, which houses the time capsule commemorating 600th anniversary (left).
Once I learned how to read Hangeul (Korean characters), I learned "no smoking area" really quickly. Those signs (right) are all over the place.


No comments:

Post a Comment