Wednesday, October 29, 2014

Gwangdeoksa(n)

April 3, 2014. Cheonan, South Korea.
The Gate.


Spring was barreling in to South Korea. It was the day before Fulbright's Jeju conference and I happened to have the day off, so I hopped on a couple of different buses and made my way to yet another temple and yet another mountain. Gwangdeoksa (광덕사) is the name of the temple, and it's found at the base of Gwandeoksan (광덕산). I hiked, strolled, and generally just pictured my way around for 4 hours.

And here is what I left with:

Not the main temple, but I don't remember the name.




The magnolias were in full swing.



After the main temple complex, I made my way up a random trail and found a fairly creepy abandoned building. As with most other creepy abandoned buildings I come across, I daydreamed about showing up one night with my tripod, some steel wool, and a few good matches, but I'm sure that would have resulted in some kind of raging inferno.




Then came the actual hike up Gwangdeoksan. I told one of my coteachers that I was going hiking there and all he had to say was something to the effect of "wow, that's a really tough hike." Alas, I never discovered just how difficult it is. I came across some burial sites and took a break on a rock surrounded by the purple blossoms that plague mountainsides across Korea every spring. It was there that I decided to make my way back. I was only halfway up the mountain, but I had what I went for. There was a hectic week behind me and a fun-filled weekend ahead of me, but there I had a quiet mountainside all to myself.

I have so many pictures of these.

Above the entrance to Gwangdeoksa.











No comments:

Post a Comment